SAGEN.at  FORUM  


  Home · Suchen · Registrieren  

Statistiken
Registrierte Benutzer 2,410
Fotos 61,202
Kommentare 55,098
Aufrufe 441,465,669
Belegter Speicherplatz 17,328.0Mb

« August 2019
SoMo DiMi DoFr Sa
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Zufallsfotos
kssturm.JPG
Miniaturpark Kleine
Dresdner

[ Miniaturparks und Modelle ]
Innsbruck_Kar_Serie_2.jpg
Innsbruck Westen
SAGEN.at

[ Vintage Innsbruck ]
IMG_6119.JPG
Zell in Waidhofen/ Y
Rabenweib

[ Fresken und Fassaden ]
cathedralpark_207_Kopie.jpg
Rotten Log im Cathed
claru

[ Holz div. ]
archaeologie_slipsk_ror_gotland02.jpg
Slipskåror auf Fårö/
dolasilla

[ Archäologie ]
DSC01529.JPG
1070
CON_soleil

[ Wien - Ansichten aus Wien ]
· mehr ·

 
Home » Themenübersicht » Themen » Natur Photo Options
mehr
IMG_8340.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG
IMG_7262.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG
mehr

Zurück   Diashow   Weiter

Schneckenhaus. Cramond, Edinburgh
(Klicken Sie auf das Bild für eine größere Ansicht)

Zurück   Diashow   Weiter


Foto Details
TeresaMaria



Erfahrener Benutzer

Registriert: Juli 2012
Wohnort: Graz, Steiermark
Beiträge: 14,849
Alle Fotos dieses Benutzers anzeigen
Ein altes Fischerdorf aus dem 18. Jahrhundert (unter Denkmalschutz) nahe Edinburgh. Cramond hat eine archäologische, kirchengeschichtliche (ehemaliger Bischofssitz) und militärhistorische Bedeutung. Der Strand und die Insel laden zum Spazieren ein. Es gibt auch ein kleines interessantes Ortsmuseum. Hinter der Kirk Cramond befinden sich auf einem größeren Areal römische Ausgrabungen, da Cramond einst eine Römersiedlung war. Die Spuren der frühesten Besiedelung reichen aber noch viel weiter zurück.

Nur eine englische Quelle dazu gefunden:
Cramond is a seaside village now part of suburban Edinburgh, Scotland, located in the north-west corner of the city at the mouth of the River Almond where it enters the Firth of Forth.
The Cramond area has a long history, with evidence of Mesolithic, Bronze Age and Roman activity. In modern times, it was the birthplace of the Scottish economist John Law.

It was once believed that Cramond Roman Fort was known to the Romans as Alaterva. A stone altar was dug up in the grounds of Cramond House dedicated "To the Alatervan Mothers and the Mothers of the Parade-ground." Early antiquarians interpreted the inscription as referring to the place where the stone was found, but this idea is no longer accepted among scholars, and "Alatervae" is presumably a native name for the Matronae, perhaps originating with the Tungrian cohort who erected the altar
In the centuries that followed the end of the Roman occupation, Cramond passed into the hands of the Votadini, who spoke Cumbric, a Brythonic Celtic language, and gave the settlement its name. Cramond is derived from the compound Caer Amon, meaning 'fort on the river', referring to the Roman fort that lay on the River Almond.

Archaeological excavations at Cramond have uncovered evidence of habitation dating to around 8500 BC, making it, for a time, the earliest known site of human settlement in Scotland.

Around 142, Roman forces arrived at Cramond by order of Emperor Antoninus Pius, who had given them the task of establishing a fort at the mouth of the River Almond. This fort would guard the eastern flank of the frontier that the Romans had established across Scotland. Nearly five hundred men worked on the site, building a fort that covered nearly six acres and a harbour for communication. However, the fort was only inhabited for a short time, perhaps fifteen years, before it was abandoned by the troops who were ordered to retreat south to Hadrian's Wall. Pottery and coins of later date indicate that the fort and harbour were reinhabited and used as a base for the army and navy of the Emperor Septimius Severus, sometime between 208 and 211.
The medieval parish church of Cramond parish (which retains its late medieval western tower in altered form), was built within the Roman fort.


Cramond Lioness
Though knowledge of the Roman presence at Cramond was recorded afterwards, the remains of the fort itself were only rediscovered in 1954. Substantial archaeological research was carried out upon its discovery to build up a reasonably accurate picture of the site in Roman times. The fort was rectangular in shape, with walls fifteen feet high on all sides. A gatehouse was set in every wall, allowing access in all four directions. Inside, there were barracks, workshops, granaries, headquarters and the commander's house. Later excavations revealed other constructions outside the boundary of the fort, including a bath-house, further industrial workshops and a native settlement.

In 1997 the Cramond Lioness was uncovered in the harbour mud by a local boatman (who received a substantial monetary reward for finding this major antiquity), and was identified as a sandstone statue of a lioness devouring a hapless male figure, probably one of a pair at the tomb of a military commander. After conservation, the statue was displayed in the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. It is one of the most ambitious pieces of Roman sculpture to have survived in Scotland.

After the departure of the Romans, little is known about the state of Cramond for several centuries. The historiography of the period is perhaps best summed up by the historian J. Wood, who wrote 'a dark cloud of obscurity again settled over the parish of Cramond, of which I cannot find the smallest memorial in any historian till the year 995.

A tower house, Cramond Tower, probably built in the early 15th century, and part of a now-demolished larger establishment, was once a manor house of the Bishops of Dunkeld, of whose diocese Cramond was a part. It was made structurally sound and converted to a private dwelling in the 1980s.

The older houses along the wharf are typical of traditional south-east Scottish vernacular architecture, constructed in stone with harling white lime render finish, with facing stone window and door surrounds and crow-step gables, roofed with orangey-red clay pantiles imported from the Netherlands. A ruined water mill lies further up the Almond along a quiet walk past a yacht club and sailing boats moored in the river. To the east a sand beach and waterfront esplanade provides a popular walk to Silverknowes and Granton. On the other side of the Almond, (once accessible by a rowing-boat ferry) the Dalmeny Estate has a pleasant walk through Dalmeny Woods along the shore of the Firth of Forth.

Offshore, Cramond Island has WW II fortifications and is linked to land by a causeway with a line of concrete pylons on one side, constructed as a submarine defence boom. At certain low tides sand extends to the island, tempting visitors to visit the island, though occasionally some are stranded by the incoming tide.

Quelle:wikipedia
· Datum: Do Oktober 3, 2013 · Aufrufe: 1591
· Dateigröße: 38.0Kb, 155.3Kb · Abmessungen: 1500 x 999 · ·
Zusätzliche Infos
Wertung: ********** 10.00
Wertung: Schwach Exzellent
Schlüsselwörter: Schneckenhaus. Cramond, Edinburgh

Autor
Thema  
Elfie

Erfahrener Benutzer

Registriert: Juni 2009
Beiträge: 23,991
Sa Oktober 5, 2013 8:41pm Wertung: 10.00 

Die bemerkenswerten kleinen Dinge des Lebens ...
Dieser Benutzer ist offline
Klicken Sie hier um das Profil des Benutzers zu sehen Klicken Sie hier um dem Benutzer eine private Nachricht zu senden Alle Beiträge dieses Benutzers anzeigen Die Galerie des Benutzers besuchen  



Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +2. Es ist jetzt 17:59 Uhr.


©2000 - 2019 www.SAGEN.at